Tuesday, May 17, 2016

How Beautycon Stars Are Leading Conversations About Diversity - FASTCOMPANY

by Nicole Laporte 
Originally published: May 16, 2016
Publisher: FastCompany.com 

In the gaggle of beauty vloggers and the fans who love them, Beautycon CEO Moj Mahdara sees much more than just pretty faces.

When digital entrepreneur Moj Mahdara became CEO of Beautycon in 2013, the company was a small startup that hosted conferences for online beauty influencers and their fans. Under Mahdara's watch, Beautycon has bloomed into a full-grown multimedia company with a subscription service, an online hub and global conferences that attract crowds of up to 12,000 people. She spoke with Fast Company about taking young, beauty creators to London and Dubai, and how the web is way ahead of traditional media when it comes to diversity.

Fast Company: How did you first become interested in Beautycon? Do you think of yourself as a lover of makeup and cosmetics? 

Moj Mahdara: I would say that I am not a cosmetics person, but I am a products person. And I am someone who is very, very interested in diversity, very interested in the long tail of media and marketing. I'm interested in audience and fans. My first interest was probably in fandom. That's something I think about, talk about, write about, more than anything else. And I think the way we think about beauty is maybe a little different than, so do I wear makeup? No. Do I care about how young people see themselves, experience beauty? I find it very, very, very inspiring that all these young girls who love the content creators think of beauty as an expression of power and creativity, rather than something they're doing to conceal or cover up or make themselves feel better. That's really the point of view that we come from and I come from. And it's what attracted me so much to the space to begin with.