Thursday, May 26, 2016

Why Now Is the Time for Women in Tech - BUSINESS 2 COMMUNITY

by Alexandra Nation 
Originally published: May 25, 2016
Publisher: Business2Community.com 

There’s a photo of me at age 10: a nerdy kid with glasses, completely engrossed in one of those old-school gray Game Boys with the size and heft of a brick (it was the 90s).

Growing up, I preferred video games and Legos to Barbies and dress-up. I never played house, which is probably why I am defiantly undomestic to this day. Thankfully, I had no concept of technology or video games as a “boy thing,” so it’s completely unsurprising that I pivoted into technology sales as an adult.

Right now, there’s a floodlight shining on women in the workplace, with topics ranging from gender dynamics in meetings to balancing professional and personal lives and career advancement. Everyone is chiming in with their perspectives: lean in, play big, have it all, stay home with your kids, hire a nanny and focus on your career, etc.

But I don’t want to talk about any of that.