Thursday, June 30, 2016

'I started by accident': How one woman made a career in tech - WOMENS AGENDA

Originally published: June 29, 2016
Publisher: WomensAgenda.com.au

This is the first of our #womenintech series, profiling the diverse range of roles in the field, how different women got involved, and their ideas for making the sector more inclusive. Find out why we launched this series here. 

Below Polycom's new Senior Director in Marketing Gabrielle Cichero, answers our questions. 

Responsible for establishing a new marketing strategy at the video and collaborations company, she brings a long career in technology to the new role. It started by accident, she says, but has seen her take on senior leadership roles at security company FireEye and Hewlett Packard. 

1. Has your tech career been planned or did it just happen? Tell us about how you got started in tech.

My tech career started completely by accident. I took an administration and operations role with a then small technology company called Mercury Interactive. I loved it and was fortunate enough to be able to grow my career with the company, discovering marketing and eventually being promoted to APJ Marketing Director.

2. What qualifications (if any) do you have that support you in this role?

When I started I had no qualifications for the industry. However, I studied as I went getting a post graduate certificate in marketing and an MBA along the way. I was fortunate that organisations I worked for invested in me and encouraged my development – along with a little bit of hard work on my side. The most important element to success is always wanting to learn more and apply that knowledge.