Friday, June 17, 2016

Practicing Inclusion In Our Daily Lives Will Help End The Hate - HUFFINGTONPOST

by May Donohue
Originally published: June 16, 2016
Publisher: Huffingtonpost.com 

The day after the killings in Orlando I heard Stevie Wonder's "You are the Sunshine of My Life" on the radio. I used to sing that song to my daughter every day when we first brought her home. It made me think about those 49 mothers and fathers who must have their own favorite song that makes them think of their sons and daughters.

Like everyone else, I was stunned by the senseless killings. To paraphrase Lin-Manuel Miranda's sonnet at the Tony Awards, hate is hate is hate, no matter what name we give it: terrorism, domestic terrorism or hate crimes.


Sadly, all over the world we have mourned, ceaselessly. For me it all started in Paris. I was saddened by the death of a close friend at the same moment in time. I didn't think it could get any worse. And then, of course, it did.

What makes us hate has been theorized since the beginning of time. Shakespeare wrote about hate and violence. But what is rarely discussed is what we need to do beyond the wailing and the gnashing of teeth.