Thursday, July 14, 2016

LGBTQ activists call for scrapping sex markers on ID cards - TORONTO STAR

by JESSICA BOTELHO-URBANSKI
Originally published: July 12, 2016
Publisher: theStar.com 

Proposed changes to ID, including a third gender option ‘X’, don’t go far enough, activists say.

For years, having to tick one of two boxes to describe gender identity has left many feeling ticked off.

Gender non-conforming, gender fluid or non-binary individuals, who don’t identify as male or female, were forced to choose a label they didn’t feel comfortable with.

Lane Silas Patriquin, a 22-year-old from Toronto who identifies as non-binary, found a workaround: applying whiteout to the gender markers on ID cards.

“I am very much aware of the fact that the reason why I feel comfortable doing that is because I’m in a position of relative privilege,” Patriquin said. “I have the privilege of being very open about my identity. I’m out at school, in my workplace and with my extended family.”