Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Burnout Is Real: Is Diversity and Inclusion In Tech Just A Myth? - HUFFINGTOINPOST

by Lisa Mae Brunson
Originally published: July 11, 2016
Publisher: Huffingtonpost.com 

Is Diversity and Inclusion in Tech a myth? I write this just days before I launch my second annual Wonder Women Tech conference, which main focus is to highlight, celebrate and educate women and diversity in tech. Over the course of two years, I have accumulated a lot of experiences while building a platform that is committed to providing a space to incubate solutions and to create dialogue towards building a diverse and inclusive community in the world of innovation.

After a grueling 24 months, I’ve come to the conclusion that the “burnout” one faces being an activist in this space is indeed real.

As a Social Innovator, I’ve always been passionate about all things equality, humanitarian, and focused on the Social Good. I have had my share of feeling discouraged with the projects and startups I have launched. I once created an entire global photo campaign to highlight equality and human rights that went largely unnoticed, and I tried to launch an internet TV network focused on Equality.