Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Why I Think Women's Solidarity Lives On Beyond The March - FORBES

by Georgene Huang
Originally published: January 22, 2017
Publisher: Forbes.com 

If you read the news this weekend, you probably noticed a sea of pink hats in many photos. On Saturday, according to the the Women’s March organizers, more than 500,000 people descended on Washington D.C. for a celebrity-studded, peaceful protest in support of women’s rights and equality.

As someone whose personal and professional mission it is to improve the lives and workplaces for women, I read the post-march commentary doubting whether the solidarity of female (and male) protestors would live on beyond the day. I, for one, don’t share those doubts.

I don’t believe women (or our important male supporters) will stop at fighting for what they believe in because I see direct contradiction of that on a daily basis. To be clear, my work is not political; I support all women in the workforce regardless of their political affiliation. And every single day, women of all persuasions, colors and types share their advice and stories on Fairygodboss in support of positive change and transparency in the workplace context. What they do isn't easy.