Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Cultural Coach: Social bias still in the workplace - PHILADELPHIA SUNDAY

by Linda Wallace 
Originally published: February 17, 2017
Publisher: PhilaSun.com 

It took a few painful years for me to stumble upon a remarkable discovery: Not everything bad that happens to me occurs because my skin is brown.

On the contrary, I find that the fact I am female seems to matter considerably in the business world. On two occasions, supervisors offered me jobs I had not applied for (and didn’t want) because they felt I had “the right style and look.”

More than a quarter-century after entering an era when tolerance, diversity and differences were enthusiastically embraced by America as a strategic mission, discrimination lawsuits are siphoning off millions of dollars that rightfully belong to shareholders.