Wednesday, February 1, 2017

How 'Male Champions' Can Help Women In The WorkPlace - FORBES

by  Samantha Harrington
Originally published: January 31, 2017
Publisher: Forbes.com 

A few days ago I came across a recent study on gender in business which looked at how male mentors encourage women in leadership. The researchers interviewed 75 leaders from Forbes Global 2000 companies in an effort to figure out what makes a good male mentor, who they call “male champions.”

Reading their findings got me thinking about all the men who have been mentors to me. I wouldn’t be where I am today, a 23 year-old with a media startup, without the male employers, coworkers and teachers who encouraged and believed in me.

 One of those was my boss in college, John Clark, who I’m pretty sure is the best boss I’ll ever have. He ran the entrepreneurial lab in the journalism school at the University of North Carolina that I worked in for four years. The lab, much like the school it was housed in, was dominated by women. My boss constantly celebrated diversity of perspective and empowered us to set and achieve our goals.