Monday, May 1, 2017

Why We Need To Try Harder At Empowering Women In The Workplace - HUFFINGTON POST

by Johnny Walker
Originally published: April 28, 2017
Publisher: HuffingtonPost.com 

A few years back I was working in a senior position for an IT consultancy firm. I had a client meeting, except on that particular day something happened that would change my life forever.

Walking into the office of my new client, the man in front of me glibly looked me up and down and said: 

"So, I guess they just hire pretty young blondes to make all of the sales, eh?" Temporarily shocked, I brushed his comment aside and began to talk shop. Soon he was clearly taken aback by home much I -- a young woman -- knew.

I realised that my expertise, my career history and my education didn't matter -- it all boiled down to the simple fact that I was born a woman.