Friday, August 4, 2017

15 People Told Us Their Stories Of Disability Discrimination At Work - BUZZFEED NEWS

by Hilary Mitchell
Originally published: August 2, 2017
Publisher: Buzzfeed.com

We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about their experiences of disability discrimination they had faced in the workplace. Here are some of their stories.

1. When I was 18 I was recovering from severe depression and anorexia, and took a voluntary job in a local branch of a well-known charity shop. One day, for "health and safety reasons" we were told we all had to write down any medications we were on. Later, my manager came up to me and demanded to know why I was on antidepressants at "only 18", because "at your age you should be making your own serotonin!". I didn't really know what to say to that, but after a few more instances of barbed remarks about the fact antidepressants are bad for people (something I definitely knew not to be true in my case), I left.

– Submitted by Nina